Monday, June 9, 2014

6 - The Holy Ghost; It's Truly a Gift

The Little Purse that [Almost] Could!

Life in the Mission Field This Week


So my purse broke on Saturday. 

But I'm making do.

We're buying another one today. 


Thank You, Bear and Rabbit!




Luckily, we don't have to spend much more money today because we went to bear and rabbit's house last night, and they gave us more groceries!
<3    Picture Collage    <3




So I have been out in the mission for a full transfer now, aka, six weeks.

I even got around to printing out pictures at Walmart to put on my wall! (Yes, what you see here is a picture of pictures. Yes. lol)

Every six weeks they switch some people up. New missionaries come in, old missionaries go out, people are moved to different areas with different companions and so forth. So I have been out a full transfer. I don't know how many there are left, I didn't do the math lol, otherwise I'd tell you. 

Personal Growth and Testimony

This week (as well as weeks previous) I've been trying to better understand the workings of the spirit, how to recognize the spirit, how to be able to grasp the fact that I'm feeling the spirit even though I don't feel all that different, 'because' I always have the spirit with me. This has always been something quite tricky for me and I'm hoping I will get closer and closer to finding out how to best explain and recognize the spirit in my own life as my mission goes on. I would invite you to watch this video. It gives marvelous insight.


I love Preach My Gospel, the manual that we missionaries use to know what to teach and how to teach. There's a chapter all about Recognizing the spirit with so many great quotes that helped my understanding increase profoundly. It's amazing how you can read something once, but only when your faith is specifically tested and a particular question develops do you go back and read the same passage that you've already read and find an answer to your question. We as humans don't remember everything. That's why God has provided us with scriptures to remind us, and that's why daily scripture study is so important. But as for the quote I would like to share:

"In answer to the question, 'How do we recognize the promptings of the Spirit?'
President Gordon B. Hinckley read Moroni 7:13, 16–17 and then said: "That's the test,
when all is said and done. Does it persuade one to do good, to rise, to stand tall, to do
the right thing, to be kind, to be generous? Then it is of the Spirit of God. . . . 
"If it invites to do good, it is of God. If it inviteth to do evil, it is of the devil. . . . And if
you are doing the right thing and if you are living the right way, you will know in your
heart what the Spirit is saying to you.
"You recognize the promptings of the Spirit by the fruits of the Spirit—that which
enlighteneth, that which buildeth up, that which is positive and affirmative and uplifting
and leads us to better thoughts and better words and better deeds is of the Spirit of God"
(Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley, 260–61)."

I have a strong testimony of the power of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost testifies of truth. Without the power of the Holy Ghost, no one would be truly converted to this gospel because it is only through the Holy Ghost that we can know The Book of Mormon is true. The gift of the Holy Ghost is given to all those who find this truth and who seek to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost with them always. It is given to those who "experiment upon [our] words, and exercise a particle of faith," (Alma 32:27) to "ask God... if these things are not true," (Moroni 10:4). It is given unto those who have faith, repent, and are baptized. Then they receive the gift of the Holy Ghost to guide them throughout their lives, to comfort, to uplift, to enlighten, to strengthen, to sanctify, in as much as they keep their promise to obey God's commandments.

I'm so grateful for this gospel. No other church offers quite as many blessings to all people as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. God loves all his children. He wants to give us truth. He wants us to succeed. So he restored the proper authority to the Earth to give the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Of this gospel I am forever thankful.

Until next week, God bless.

Sister Hannah Sanderson

No comments:

Post a Comment